Blackville in Barnwell County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Macedonia Baptist Church
This church, the first African-American Baptist church in Barnwell County, was founded in 1866 when Rev. James T. Tolbert preached in Blackville under a brush arbor; the first sanctuary was built in 1868. The church hosted the first state convention of black Baptists, held here in 1875, and built its second sanctuary by 1887. The present sanctuary was built here in 1976.
This is the mother church of eight churches founded 1867-1922: Ebenezer, Frost Branch, Pilgrim Rest, St. Peter, Sunshine, Tabernacle, Shrub Branch, and Central. Macedonia Baptist Association, which promoted the education of area blacks, opened Macedonia School nearby in 1890. Macedonia High School was built here in 1954 and taught grades 1-12 until 1970, when it became Macedonia Middle School.
Erected 2002 by The Barnwell County Museum and Historical Board. (Marker Number 06-16.)
Location. 33° 21.222′ N, 81° 16.44′ W. Marker is in Blackville, South Carolina, in Barnwell County. Marker is on Dexter Street (State Highway 78), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located between Walker Street and Hampton Avenue. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3572 Dexter Street, Blackville SC 29817, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Blackville : Town Of The Phoenix / Battle of Blackville, 1865 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Solomon Blatt, Sr. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Blackville (approx. ľ mile away); Barnwell County Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Solomon Blatt Highway (approx. 2.3 miles away); Healing Springs (approx. 2.6 miles away); Godís Acre Healing Springs (approx. 2.7 miles away); a different marker also named Godís Acre Healing Springs (approx. 2.7 miles away); a different marker also named Godís Acre Healing Springs (approx. 2.8 miles away); Hilda (approx. 5.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blackville.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 1, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 970 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 1, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on June 13, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.