Sidney in Shelby County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Shelby County Courthouse
In 1819, the State of Ohio formally recognized Shelby County, named for Isaac Shelby, veteran of the American Revolution and former governor of Kentucky. The first county seat was located in Hardin, but was moved to Sidney in 1820 to centralize county government. The corner stone of the present courthouse was laid on July 4, 1881. George Maetzel from Columbus served as architect and superintendent of construction. Modeled after the county courthouse in Licking County, the project was completed in 1883 at a cost of $200,000. Materials, such as limestone, sandstone, and marble arrived by canal boat. The French Second Empire style building has four symmetrical sides facing the four points of the compass, each side with pillared porticoes approached by broad stone steps. A figure of Lady Justice holding the scales of equal justice surmounts each facade. The roof is classical mansard, and the center 170-foot tower is of galvanized iron, encompassing four clocks.
Erected 2003 by The Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, Shelby County Historical Society, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 40° 17.092′ N, 84° 9.335′ W. Marker is in Sidney, Ohio, in Shelby County. Marker is at the intersection of Court Street (Ohio Route 29/47) and Main Avenue (Ohio Route 29/47), on the left when traveling east on Court Street. Touch for map. Marker is on the SE courthouse grounds. Marker is at or near this postal address: 129 E. Court Street, Sidney OH 45365, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Theodore Roosevelt / William Howard Taft (a few steps from this marker); Sidney and Shelby County Millenium Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Shelby County Operation Desert Storm Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Shelby County Korean Conflict / Vietnam War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); George Washington Bicentennial (within shouting distance of this marker); Burkhart Building (within shouting distance of this marker); US Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Shelby County Veterans Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sidney.
Also see . . .
1. Shelby County Government Site. (Submitted on March 13, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. History of the Shelby County Courthouse. (Submitted on March 13, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Government • Notable Buildings • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 20, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 13, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 630 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 13, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 4. submitted on April 19, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.