Bartlett in Bell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Bartlett Electric Cooperative
In 1935, the REA lent $33,000 to the Bartlett Community Light & Power Company. Later known as the Bartlett Electric Cooperative, the BCL&P built a 59-mile power line to serve the rural areas surrounding Bartlett. The first section of the line, which was to serve 110 farm homes, became operative in March 1936. Power was provided by the city’s municipal light plant, which had been built two years earlier.
As the first REA project in Texas and the first in the nation to be energized under an REA loan, the Bartlett Electric Cooperative played an important role in the modernization of area farms.
Erected 1985 by the Texas
Location. 30° 50.23′ N, 97° 24.536′ W. Marker is in Bartlett, Texas, in Bell County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 95 and Linderman Road, on the right when traveling south on State Highway 95. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 27492 TX-95, Bartlett TX 76511, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of German-English School (approx. 2 miles away); St. John Lutheran Church (approx. 2.1 miles away); Site of Booker T. Washington School (approx. 2.8 miles away); The Woman's Study Club of Holland (approx. 2.9 miles away); Holland Community (approx. 2.9 miles away); Bartlett Grammar School (approx. 3 miles away); First Baptist Church of Bartlett (approx. 3 miles away); City of Bartlett (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bartlett.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 20, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,035 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 20, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.