Fremont in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The Chadbourne Carriage House
They purchased the property in 1872 from Charles C. Breyfogle, one of the first assessors in Alameda County and his wife Hannah, who signed the petition to establish the First Presbyterian Church here. The residence built by Breyfogle in 1851, was a humble adobe dwelling compared to the carriage house built by the Chadbournes.
Howard Flint Chadbourne and his wife Martha (Dunn) were both born in San Francisco in 1874. They lived there until the 1906 earthquake at which time they came here to live on the ranch. Howard, an attorney, commuted to San Francisco for the next 30 years. They were active members of St. James Episcopal Church and leaders in the community.
After the Chadbourne’s deaths in 1947, Wendell Burdette Williams purchased the 143 acre property for $1,000 per acre. Born in 1900, he was well known as a producer and shipper of green tomatoes, celery and cauliflower. In 1963 he sold the property to Hap Smith, developer
Burdette Williams donated this one-acre plot to the City of Fremont and the carriage house was moved 150 feet into the newly created Williams Historic Park. The Chadbourne Carriage House, the only surviving structure of the Chadbourne ranch complex, was restored and is preserved through the efforts of many concerned citizens. The 2,456 square foot structure is a reminder of our equestrian past.
Erected 2003 by Mission Park Heritage Foundation.
Location. 37° 32.809′ N, 121° 59.145′ W. Marker is in Fremont, California, in Alameda County. Marker can be reached from Fremont Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker and carriage house are located at the W. Burdette Williams Historical Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 39169 Fremont Boulevard, Fremont CA 94538, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pioneer Schoolhouse & Chapel (approx. 1.2 miles away); Mormon Pioneers / Mormon Pioneer Adobes (approx. 1.4 miles away); Site of First Post Office (approx. 2.1 miles away); “The Bankers Building” (approx. 2.1 miles away); Completion of the Transcontinental Railroad Essanay Studio Site (approx. 2.1 miles away); Essanay Film Studio (approx. 2.1 miles away); Vallejo Flour Mill (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fremont.
Also see . . . The Chadbourne Family Association Newsletter. The personal recollections of Ed Chadbourne growing up on the ranch. (Submitted on March 20, 2010.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 20, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 2,827 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on March 20, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.