Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Findlay in Hancock County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Hancock County Courthouse

 
 
Hancock County Courthouse Marker (Side A) image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 13, 2010
1. Hancock County Courthouse Marker (Side A)
Inscription.
Side A: Hancock County was organized March, 1828, court being held in a log schoolhouse. In 1833, a frame courthouse was built. It served until 1840, when a brick structure went up on this site. During the oil and gas boom of the 1880's, the present courthouse was erected at a cost of $305,272, and dedicated Oct. 27, 1888.

Side B:
June 5, 1885, County Commrs. [Commissioners] C.S. Kelley, J.M. Moorhead and A.S. Beck, together with G.W. Galloway, G.W. Myers, Lemuel McManness and Presley Hay approved plans for the third Hancock County courthouse. W.H. Campfield & Son were contractors; Weary & Cramer, architects. Justice, Law and Mercy are the statutory group. The 16-ft. statue of John Hancock stands 130 ft. above ground.
 
Erected 1979 by Historic Preservation Guild and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 5-32.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 41° 2.335′ N, 83° 39.028′ W. Marker is in Findlay, Ohio, in Hancock County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Ohio Route 12) and Main Cross Street (Ohio Route 12), on the right when traveling south on Main
Hancock County Courthouse Marker (Side B) image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 13, 2010
2. Hancock County Courthouse Marker (Side B)
Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 S. Main Street, Findlay OH 45840, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Outstanding New Building, 1978 - 1979 (within shouting distance of this marker); Outstanding Renovated Building, 1980 - 1986 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Underground Railroad in Hancock County (within shouting distance of this marker); Hancock County Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients (within shouting distance of this marker); The Ohio Oil Co - Marathon Oil Co / Gas Boom Era (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Fort Findlay (about 800 feet away); First School Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Findlay.
 
Also see . . .
1. Hancock County Offices. (Submitted on March 27, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. About Hancock County. (Submitted on March 27, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. 1888 History of Hancock County. (Submitted on March 27, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. GovernmentIndustry & CommerceNotable BuildingsNotable PersonsPolitical Subdivisions
 
Hancock County Courthouse and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 13, 2010
3. Hancock County Courthouse and Marker
Hancock County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 13, 2010
4. Hancock County Courthouse
Looking SW. Statue of John Hancock above clock tower.
Hancock County Courthouse and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 13, 2010
5. Hancock County Courthouse and Marker
Looking SW.
Hancock County Courthouse (rear) image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 13, 2010
6. Hancock County Courthouse (rear)
Looking SE.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 27, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 755 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 27, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement