Graham in Alamance County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1979 by Division of Archives and History. (Marker Number G 96.)
Location. 36° 3.92′ N, 79° 24.035′ W. Marker is in Graham, North Carolina, in Alamance County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street/NC Highway 87 and McAden Street, on the left when traveling north on Main Street/NC Highway 87. Touch for map. From Interstate I-85/40. Exit 147 at Graham, North Carolina. Travel north on NC Highway 87 (also called South Main Street) less than one mile. Marker is on the left. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 South Main Street, Graham NC 27253, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kirk-Holden War (within shouting distance of this marker); Captain James W. White House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); "Elmhurst" (approx. 0.2 miles away); National Bank of Alamance (approx. ¼ mile away); Graham's First Bank Alamance County Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Alamance County Confederate Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Originally a Wing of the Union Hotel (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Graham.
Regarding Graham College. Graham College opened in 1851 as a school for male students. Female students were accepted soon after, and John R. Holt served as headmaster.
Also called Graham Academy, the school operated until 1863, when it was closed due to poor fiscal management and the onset of the Civil War.
Other instructors included: Prof. W. H. Dougherty, Dr. William Samuel Long and Rev. Daniel Albright Long, who was William's younger brother.
The school reopened after the war. The name was changed to Graham Normal College in 1881, with Dr. William Samuel Long as headmaster.
The Christian Church leased the building in 1886 and decided to turn it into a four-year school.
Plans were made to move the school to Mill Point, a small village west of Burlington, North Carolina. Dr. William S. Long received a charter for the new school and Elon College opened in 1889.
There were plans to establish a preparatory school at the site of the original Graham College. Any plans for the building were halted when it was destroyed by fire in 1892.
Additional keywords. Graham Normal College, Alamance, John R. Holt, William Samuel Long, Elon University
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 18, 2010, by Patrick G. Jordan of Graham, North Carolina. This page has been viewed 809 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 18, 2010, by Patrick G. Jordan of Graham, North Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.