Union in Union County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Episcopal Church Of The Nativity
This parish was established in 1855 with the Rev. John DeWitt McCollough (1822-1902) as its first rector. This Gothic Revival church, consecrated in 1859 and called “probably the most exquisite gem of a Church in our whole Diocese” the next year, was designed by McCollough. He adapted a plan by architect Frank Wills, whose St. Anne’s Chapel, Fredericton, in New Brunswick, Canada, is virtually identical.
The inspiration for this church came from Mary Poulton Dawkins (1820-1906) of London, England, wife of Judge Thomas N. Dawkins, and her sister Jane Poulton McLure, wife of Maj. John W. McLure; their families founded this church. The fine marble baptismal font is by the noted American sculptor Hiram Powers (1805-1873). The Church of the Nativity was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
Erected 2009 by Congregation. (Marker Number 44-11.)
Location. 34° 42.598′ N, 81° 37.177′ W. Marker is in Union, South Carolina, in Union County. Marker is on South Church Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 320 S. Church St., Union SC 29379, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance Sims High School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jefferson Davis Dined in This House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Union County Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Union County Confederate Monument (approx. half a mile away); Union Community Hospital (approx. half a mile away); John Pratt (approx. half a mile away); Union County Revolutionary War (approx. half a mile away); Union County Jail (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Union.
Also see . . .
1. South Carolina Historical Markers. Part of SC Department of Archives and History (Submitted on May 7, 2010, by Wes Cox of Union, South Carolina.)
2. National Register of Historic Places. (Submitted on May 7, 2010, by Wes Cox of Union, South Carolina.)
3. South Carolina Department of Archives and History. The Church of the Nativity in Union is a notable example of Gothic Revival ecclesiastical architecture. Delicately articulated exterior details, high quality craftsmanship in stone, and the Louis Tiffany stained glass chancel triplet window combine to make the Church of the Nativity one of the finest Episcopal parish churches in the Southeast. The church belongs to a stylistic group of unpretentious parish churches of the 1840s and 1850s that feature small size, diagonal buttresses, a feeling for stone, and an intimate relationship (Submitted on May 7, 2010, by Wes Cox of Union, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 7, 2010, by Wes Cox of Union, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 924 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on May 7, 2010, by Wes Cox of Union, South Carolina. 8. submitted on November 7, 2010, by Wes Cox of Union, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.