Muncie in Delaware County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Ball Brothers Glass Manufacturing Company
Side - A
Company incorporated in New York 1886 to manufacture glassware (particularly fruit jars). Brothers Edmund, Frank, George, William, and Lucius Ball all were trustees. Company - promised money, land, and free natural gas - came to Muncie; first glassware produced here 1888. Led nation in production of fruit jars by 1900.
Side - B
Ball Brothers expanded its operations in Muncie and into other states. Company diversified holdings into plastics, rubber, and aerospace technology. Closed Muncie plant 1962; moved corporate offices 1998. Company and owners contributed to the state and nation's economy and culture in many significant ways.
Erected 2008 by Indiana Historical Bureau and Minnetrista. (Marker Number 18.2008.1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 40° 10.694′ N, 85° 22.219′ W. Marker is in Muncie, Indiana, in Delaware County. Marker is on East Memorial Drive west of South Macedonia Avenue, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1401 East Memorial Drive, Muncie IN 47302, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least Hemingray Glass Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); Shaffer Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 1.8 miles away); World War I War Memorial (approx. 3.7 miles away); First Indiana Gas Well (approx. 11.4 miles away); Slickville Tile Works (approx. 13 miles away).
Also see . . . Photos of Dedication (Courtesy - Indiana Historical Bureau):. (Submitted on January 20, 2013, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 31, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,914 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 31, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.