Johnson City in Blanco County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
1894 Blanco County Jail
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986
Noting the unhealthy dampness of the basement where prisoners were first kept after the Blanco County seat was moved to Johnson City, the Commissioners Court ordered the construction of this jail facility in 1893. Completed the following year, the jailhouse was built of limestone by J.E.L. (Kergie) Dildine (1853-1925), a rock mason who came to Blanco County from Kansas in the 1880s. Despite an 1897 jailbreak, the facility has continued in use, with interior modifications to meet state jail standards.
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 429.)
Location. 30° 16.657′ N, 98° 24.662′ W. Marker is in Johnson City, Texas, in Blanco County. Marker is at the intersection of Avenue G and Pecan Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Avenue G. Touch for map. Marker is south across Pecan Avenue from the county courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Johnson City TX 78636, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Blanco County (within shouting distance of this marker); Blanco County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Blanco County Veterans Memorial Flagpole (about 300 James Polk Johnson Building (about 300 feet away); First Baptist Church (about 400 feet away); L. B. J. Boyhood Home (about 700 feet away); Pedernales Electric Cooperative, Inc. (approx. 0.2 miles away); E. Babe Smith (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Johnson City.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Government • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 4, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 760 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 4, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.