Southwest in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Blending Old and New
River Farms to Urban Towers
—Southwest Heritage Trail —
The elegant 1794-1795 set of four Federal style houses behind you across Fourth Street is Wheat Row, created by James Greenleaf, Washington's first real estate speculator. Greenleaf and his partners hoped to get rich building housing for the new city. Instead Greanleaf went bankrupt, but left behind a few well-made houses. These were named for John Wheat, an early owner who worked as a Senate messenger. Across Fourth to your left at 456 N Street is Lewis House, built in 1817 for a Navy Department clerk. A few houses down at 468-470 is Duncanson-Cranch House, built around 1794.
In 1901 Charles Weller opened Neighborhood House in Lewis House as Washington's first social settlement. There, in keeping with Washington's segregation, he provided education and recreation for poor white children and adults, including the city's first organized playground. Its first branch library was open to all, however. In 1904 Washington artist and socialite Alice Pike Barney
(Upper Right Photo Caption):
The Lewis House, far left, at 456 N Street, was Barney Neighborhood House's first home, until moved to Duncanson-Cranch House at 468-470, left. After urban renewal, both houses became part of Harbour Square along with Wheat Row, 1315-1321 Fourth Street, above.
(Center Right Photo Caption):
Artist Garnet Jex photographed the Duncanson-Cranch House in 1963 as construction was underway for Harbour Square cooperatives.
(Lower Right Photo Captions):
Barney Neighborhood House brochure of 1908, above. Adult classes included vegetable carving, 1942.
(Lower Left Photo Caption):
Beloved World War II correspondent Ernie Pyle, center, once lived in a Lewis House apartment.
(Back of Marker):
From 1800 until 1950, Southwest was Washington's largest working-class, waterfront neighborhood. The beginning in 1954, nearly all of Southwest was razed to
River Farms to Urban Towers: Southwest Heritage Trail, a booklet capturing the trail's highlights, is available at local businesses along the way. To learn about other DC neighborhoods, visit www.CulturalTourismDC.org.
(Back Photo Caption):
Neighbors line Forth Street for a May Day celebration mounted by Barney Neighborhood House, around 1940. At left is the Marine Band. At center is the "May Day Procession of Clubs" led by Boy Scouts with the May Day Queen and attendants close behind.
Erected by Cultural Tourism DC. (Marker Number 17 of 17.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20024, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lewis House (within shouting distance of this marker); Wheat Row (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Barney House (about 400 feet away); Harbour Square (about 400 feet away); Linking the "Island" to the City (about 600 feet away); Thomas Law (about 700 feet away); The Law House In Peace and War (approx. 0.2 miles away); Military Education at Fort McNair (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Southwest.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 11, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 3, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 979 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 3, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.