Augusta in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The First Academy of Richmond County
In 1798 the school was closed because of a lack of money and the delapidation of the buildings. It was reopened in 1802 on Telfair Street. Thence, it was removed to Baker Avenue in 1926.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 121-17.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 28.395′ N, 81° 57.342′ W. Marker is in Augusta, Georgia, in Richmond County. Marker is at the intersection of 4th Street and Reynolds Street, on the left when traveling north on 4th Street. Touch for map. Located near the northern end of 4th Street near the side entrance to a county service parking lot. Marker is in this post office area: Augusta GA 30901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Georgia's State Capital (within shouting The “Haunted” Pillar of the Lower Market (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jefferson Davis Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); Birthplace of the Augusta Chronicle (approx. 0.2 miles away); Veterans of All Wars (approx. ¼ mile away); St. James United Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Bicentennial Augusta, Ga (approx. ¼ mile away); Troop K Georgia Cavalry (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
Also see . . . The Academy of Richmond County (also "A.R.C." or Richmond Academy). one notable alumni was James Longstreet, Confederate general in the American Civil War . (James spent eight years on his uncle's plantation, Westover, just outside the city, while he attended the Richmond County Academy) (Submitted on August 7, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 7, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 771 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 7, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.