Hillsborough in Orange County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Orange County Courthouse, 1845-1957
Fourth on this Site
John Berry of Hillsborough, 1798 – 1870
Builder, Architect, Legislator, Humanitarian
Builder of distinguished structures in his native state
Contributor to the tradition of American architecture
Member of North Carolina Senate
1848, 1850, 1852, 1864, and 1866
Member of North Carolina House of Commons, 1862
Member of N.C. Constitutional Conventions, 1861 and 1865
Trustee of Wake Forest College 1850-1862
An Historic American Building
The National Park Service
Department of the Interior
Erected 1964 by The Hillsborough Historical Society.
Location. 36° 4.509′ N, 79° 5.944′ W. Marker is in Hillsborough, North Carolina, in Orange County. Marker is at the intersection of E King Street and S Churton Street (U.S. 70), on the right when traveling east on E King Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hillsborough NC 27278, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Thomas Burke (a few steps from this marker); Boone Expedition for Kentucky (a few steps from this marker); Regulators Hanged (within shouting distance of this marker); Edmund Fanning (within shouting distance of this marker); William Churton (within shouting distance of this marker); North Carolina Society of the Cincinnati (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Billy Strayhorn (about 300 feet away); James Hogg (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hillsborough.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 21, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 664 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 21, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 5. submitted on June 30, 2014, by Michael C. Wilcox of Winston-Salem, North Carolina.