Edenton in Chowan County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1936 by Department of Conservation and Development. (Marker Number A 5.)
Location. 36° 3.658′ N, 76° 36.49′ W. Marker is in Edenton, North Carolina, in Chowan County. Marker is on North Broad Street just from East Church Street. Touch for map. Opposite side of street from Henderson Walker and St Paul's Church Markers. Marker is in this post office area: Edenton NC 27932, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Samuel Johnston (a few steps from this marker); Henderson Walker (a few steps from this marker); Joseph Hewes (within shouting distance of this marker); The Iredell House (within shouting distance of this marker); Edenton United Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); St Paul's Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Harriet Jacobs (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chowan County Courthouse (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Edenton.
Also see . . .
1. East Carolina University7. Former home of James Iredell (Submitted on August 24, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa.)
2. Wikipedia James Iredell. James Iredell was born in Lewes, England, the oldest of five children of a Bristol merchant. The failure of his father's business (and health) impelled James to immigrate to the Colonies in 1767 at the age of 17. Relatives assisted him in obtaining a position in the customs service as deputy collector, or comptroller, of the port of Edenton, North Carolina. (Submitted on August 24, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa.)
3. James Irdell - Findagrave.com. Buried Johnson Family Cemetery Edenton Chowan County NC (Submitted on August 24, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa.)
4. Chowan County North Carolina. The James Iredell, Sr. House, located at 105 East Church Street in Edenton, was the home of James Iredell, Sr. (1751-1799), a Justice on the first United States Supreme Court. This dwelling began around 1773 with the erection of the two-story gable-front section on the east. It was built for silversmith Joseph Whedbee soon after he acquired four lots here in 1778 from John Wilkins for 160 pounds. Wilkins had acquired these lots in 1756 and the property, as shown on the 1769 Sauthier Map, included a dwelling house and six auxiliary structures. Whedbee undertook considerable improvements on the two western lots, selling them for 800 pounds to James Iredell, Sr. in 1778. (Submitted on August 25, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa.)
5. James Iredell - The Supreme Court Historical Society. (Submitted on August 31, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. • Notable Persons • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 24, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 657 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 24, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. 2, 3. submitted on July 2, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.