Hitchcock in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
U. S. Naval Air Station
—Seven-tenths Mile South —
Because of its site on the flat Texas coastal plain, Hitchcock was chosen as the location for one of the nine new blimp bases. Construction began in 1942, and the facility was commissioned on May 22, 1943. The resulting military personnel build-up caused an economic boom in the community.
The Hitchcock base consisted of forty-seven buildings, including a massive hangar to house six blimps, administration buildings, warehouses, living quarters, and recreational facilities. Aircraft from the base, in addition to their regular patrolling duties, were also used to assist with hurricane relief efforts and war bond drives.
In 1944, after the blimps were no longer needed, the Hitchcock base was redesignated for other purposes. Following the war some of the buildings were used by private interests, and after hurricane damage in 1961 the blimp hangar was razed.
Erected 1989 by Texas Historical Commission.
Location. Touch for map. In Jack Brooks Park near the picnic tables. Marker is in this post office area: Hitchcock TX 77563, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp Wallace (here, next to this marker); City of Hitchcock (approx. 0.8 miles away); Hitchcock Depot (approx. 1˝ miles away); Stringfellow Orchards (approx. 1.7 miles away); Original Site of First Baptist Church of Alta Loma (approx. 2.4 miles away); Alta Loma (approx. 2.4 miles away); Galilee Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 3.1 miles away); Settlement Community (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hitchcock.
Categories. • Air & Space • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 19, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 824 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 19, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.