McCormick in McCormick County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Guillebeau House
was built in circa 1770
in the Huguenot settlement
of New Bordeaux. It was
relocated to its present
site in 1983.
Erected by South Carolina State Park Service.
Location. 33° 52.867′ N, 82° 25.85′ W. Marker is in McCormick, South Carolina, in McCormick County. Marker is on Resort Drive, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located near the cabin in Hickory Knob State Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mc Cormick SC 29835, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. General Elijah Clark (approx. 2.4 miles away in Georgia); Dooly Spring (approx. 2.7 miles away in Georgia); Tory Pond (approx. 2.8 miles away in Georgia); New Bordeaux (1764) (approx. 3 miles away); Edmunds Family History / Samuel Calhoun Edmunds (approx. 3.2 miles away); New Bordeaux Worship Site (approx. 3.9 miles away); Welcome to Baker Creek State Park John De La Howe School Lethe Farm Trail (approx. 4.3 miles away); John De La Howe Forest (approx. 4.3 miles away); Andre Guillebeau (approx. 4½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McCormick.
Also see . . .
1. Guillebeau House. The Guillebeau House is a good example of Southern eighteenth-century pioneer construction. (Submitted on April 22, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. A History of New Bordeaux. In 1761, The Bounty Act was a direct result of the French and Indian War (1756-1759 in the colonies) and the Cherokee War (1760) in South Carolina. (Submitted on April 22, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Hickory Knob State Resort Park. What would you call a state park that offers 18 holes of lakeside championship golf, tennis, skeet shooting and archery, a swimming pool for lodge guests, full-service restaurant and meeting facilities and more than 70 lodge rooms? (Submitted on April 22, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Guillebeau House
The Guillebeau House is a good example of Southern pioneer construction.
Several of the large logs which provided original foundation supports are still intact. Walls are constructed of hand-hewn logs with mortise-and-tenon joints. Filling between logs.
Medium gable roof features typical pioneer construction method in which plates are used to support rafters which in turn support purl ins. Roof was covered with wooden shingles.
Original exterior end chimney is laid in Flemish bond in first two stages. In third stage, brickwork is done in all stretcher pattern with alternating header-stretcher design in comers.
The family cemetery is included in the acreage nominated. It is maintained by the Guillebeau descendants.
With the revival of the Reformed Church in France by such leaders as Antoine Court, the French government enacted the vindictive Edict of 1724 which was in
During the American Revolution, Andre Guillebeau served in the American militia under Captain Joseph Bouchillon (also a Huguenot settler at New Bordeaux) from August 1779 - May 1782. Andre wounded in action.
The Guillebeau House is a fine physical document on 18th Century pioneer construction in the South. It remains largely unaltered. Descendants of Andre Guillebeau continue to hold family reunions in New Bordeaux every other year and are most interested in promoting the purchase and restoration of the house. Since it is the only extant Huguenot building in New Bordeaux, its preservation is extremely important to the area and the state. (Source: National Register nomination form.)
— Submitted April 22, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for The Guillebeau House.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 22, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,006 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 22, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.