Sturgeon Bay in Door County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Old Bridge
In 1891, the Ahnapee and Western (A & W) Railway received grants totalling $76,000 from the City and County to construct a line to Sturgeon Bay. A rail crossing was completed in 1894 by attaching tracks to the toll bridge and constructing a new western rail approach.
The City purchased the toll bridge from Leathem and Smith in 1911 and operated it until 1931 when the present Michigan street bridge was built to accommodate the increased automobile traffic. The rail portion of the toll bridge was turned over to the A & W which in 1946 reinforced the deteriorating western approach with earth and rock fill, creating the present embankment extending into the
In 1968 the rail line was abandoned, and the old truss bridge and remaining trestle, a serious hazard to navigation, were removed in 1973. The earthen embankment lay dormant until 1987 when a grant from the Wisconsin Coastal Management Program enabled the city to improve the embankment for public enjoyment.
Erected 1987 by The City of Sturgeon Bay.
Location. 44° 49.87′ N, 87° 23.043′ W. Marker is in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin, in Door County. Marker can be reached from N.Madison Ave.. Touch for map. Near Bayview Park. Marker is in this post office area: Sturgeon Bay WI 54235, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sturgeon Bay Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Propeller and Stirrup Bearing (within shouting distance of this marker); Capstans (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dunlap Reef Light Tower (about 300 feet away); Steam Engine (about 300 feet away); Ship's Double Wheel (about 300 feet away); Fish Tug Linda E (about 400 feet away); Schooner Rudder (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sturgeon Bay.
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 13, 2011, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona. This page has been viewed 495 times since then and 7 times this year. Last updated on June 23, 2011, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 13, 2011, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.