Reno in Washoe County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Site of Nevada’s First Public Library
The state’s first public library building was erected on this site in 1904 with $15,000 donated by the philanthropist Andrew Carnegie on land originally donated to the City of Reno by pioneer Myron C. Lake. It remained in service until 1930, when growth forced it relocation to the site where the Pioneer Theater Auditorium now stands. The library was sold for $1 and demolished in 1931.
In 1966, the library was relocated to a new building at Center and Liberty Streets, three blocks south of this site. State Historic Marker No. 247
Erected by Division of Historic Preservation and Archeology and Washoe County Library. (Marker Number 247.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Carnegie Libraries marker series.
Location. Touch for map. The marker is located on the grounds of the U.S. Post Office. Marker is at or near this postal address: 30 South Virginia Street, Reno NV 89501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Frederick Joseph DeLongechamps (a few steps from this marker); Lake's Crossing (within shouting distance of this marker); Reno (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Washoe County World War II Memorial (about 300 feet away); Spanish-American War Memorial 1898-1899 (about 500 feet away); Major General Jesse Lee Reno (about 500 feet away); Reno's Beginning (about 600 feet away); The Reno Arch (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Reno.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 30, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 5, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 448 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 5, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. 3. submitted on October 10, 2015. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.