Greensburg in Decatur County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Spanish American War Veterans
( Front Plaque )
( Bronze “Crest” of the “Spanish War Veterans 1898 - 1902" )
( Obverse Plaque )
( Likeness of the Original Memorial )
Original Spanish American War Memorial
On 24 August 1921, the surviving Veterans of the Spanish American War organized Greensburg Camp Number 63 - United Spanish American War Veterans. The members held a patriotic program on February 15 each year in observance of the sinking of the U.S.S. Maine until the camp was dissolved in 1946.
On 31 October 1926, members placed a memorial on the North side of the Courthouse Square dedicating it ‘to the memory of all Spanish American War Veterans living and dead.’
The bronze plaque opposite this inscription tablet was saved when the original memorial was dismantled in 1995 as construction on the Courthouse addition began. This memorial, a part of the All Wars Memorial, is dedicated “to the memory of all Spanish American War Veterans.”
Erected 1926 by Spanish American War Veterans Camp Number 63.
Location. Touch for map. Located on the South side-walk to the Decatur County Courthouse in Greensburg, Indiana. Marker is in this post office area: Greensburg IN 47240, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Decatur County Civil War Memorial (here, next to this marker); Decatur County All Wars Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Decatur County Court House (a few steps from this marker); Colonel Thomas Hendricks / Elizabeth Trimble Hendricks (within shouting distance of this marker); The Naegel Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Donnell -V.- State, 1852 (about 300 feet away); Civil War General John T. Wilder (approx. 0.3 miles away); Decatur County (Indiana) Bridge 140 (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greensburg.
Categories. • War, Spanish-American •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 20, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,310 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 20, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.