Santa Cruz in Santa Fe County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Santa Cruz de la Cañada / Santa Cruz Plaza on the Camino Real
Santa Cruz de la Cañada
In 1695, Governor Diego de Vargas founded his first town, Santa Cruz de la Cañada, designed to protect the Spanish frontier north of Santa Fe. The church, which still stands, was constructed in the 1730s. In 1837, residents revolted against Mexican authorities, resulting in the death of Governor Albino Pérez.
Santa Cruz Plaza On the Camino Real
In 1695 Governor Diego de Vargas founded Santa Cruz de la Cañada south of the Santa Cruz River. The town was later moved to this site north of the river. The church facing the Plaza dates from the 1730s. Santa Cruz was an important stop on the Camino Real between Santa Fe and Taos.
Erected by New Mexico Historic Preservation Division.
Marker series. This marker is included in the El Camino Real de Tierra Adentro marker series.
Location. 35° 59.459′ N, 106° 2.866′ W. Marker is in Santa Cruz, New Mexico, in Santa Fe County. Marker is on South McCurdy Road (County Road 583) 0.1 miles north of Santa Cruz Road (State Road 76), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Santa Cruz NM 87567, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Chimayo Trading Post / Trujillo House (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Bond House (approx. 2 miles away); Pablita Velarde, Tse Tsan, Golden Dawn (approx. 2.8 miles away); Pueblo of Santa Clara (approx. 2.8 miles away); Española Valley (approx. 2.9 miles away); Dominguez Escalante Trail (approx. 3.6 miles away); Esther Martinez - P’oe Tsáwäˀ (1912-2006) (approx. 4.2 miles away); San Gabriel (approx. 4.2 miles away).
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 5, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 700 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 5, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.