Wolf Creek in Josephine County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Wolf Creek Tavern
Wolf Creek Inn
When the Pacific Highway reached Wolf Creek in 1922, traffic increased as did the number of clientele stopping at the Tavern. In 1925, hotel owner-manager John Dougall added a guest wing, kitchen, and simi-circular drive and gateway signs. His creative marketing included claims that famous guests such as President Rutherford B. Hayes, Jack London, and Sinclair Lewis stayed at the Tavern -- claims that endure as local legend.
Wolf Creek Tavern was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1972, conveyed to the State of Oregon in 1975, carefully restored by local craftspeople and re-opened in 1979 by Oregon State Parks.
Erected 2011 by E Clampus Vitus Umpqua Joe Chapter 1859 in conjuction with Oregon State Parks and Recreaion.
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 42° 41.705′ N, 123° 23.781′ W. Marker is in Wolf Creek, Oregon, in Josephine County. Marker is at the intersection of Front Street and Lower Wolf Creek Road, on the right when traveling south on Front Street. Touch for map. Off I-5, 20 miles north of Grants Pass (Exit 76). Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Front Street, Wolf Creek OR 97497, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Grave Creek Ranch (approx. 4.2 miles away); The Applegate Trail (approx. 4.2 miles away); Applegate Trail - Grave Creek (approx. 4.2 miles away); Hellgate Canyon (approx. 12 miles away); Historic Indian Mary Park (approx. 12.3 miles away); Rogue River Wars (approx. 12.3 miles away); No Land is Free (approx. 12.4 miles away); Burrell M. Baucom (approx. 12.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wolf Creek.
More about this marker. Marker is on the front of the Wolf Creek Tavern to the left of the main entrance to the building.
Also see . . . History of The Wolf Creek Inn. he Wolf Creek Inn, first called the Wolf Creek Tavern, is the oldest continuous use hotel in the state of Oregon. Built in 1883 by pioneer (Submitted on September 14, 2011, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 14, 2011, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. This page has been viewed 842 times since then and 16 times this year. Last updated on September 15, 2011, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 14, 2011, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. 3, 4. submitted on September 15, 2011. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.