Rockport in Spencer County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
A Rocky Beginning
When the railroad connected Rockport to Jasper in 1874, more trade routes were opened. In the 1930's Rockport’s sidewalks were laid by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) Franklin D. Roosevelt’s Depression era organization.
By the Way:
Some folks say you can see the image of Martha Washington among the rock formations under the Rockport Bluff.
(Right Side Text)
Under the famous Rockport bluff lays the Ohio River. It was from here in 1828 that a young merchant, Abraham Lincoln, boarded a flatboat for his first river trip to transport produce to New Orleans.
Travel to River Road
Marker series. This marker is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
Location. 37° 52.73′ N, 87° 2.659′ W. Marker is in Rockport, Indiana, in Spencer County. Marker is at the intersection of South 1st Street and Clark Street, on the left when traveling south on South 1st Street. Touch for map. Located in "Rocky Side Park" which is entered from Main Street and South 2nd Street. "Rocky Side Park" follows the Ohio River and the very rocky high bluffs. Marker is in this post office area: Rockport IN 47635, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Abraham Lincoln (here, next to this marker); A Visit Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Rockport Tavern (approx. 0.3 miles away); Abraham Lincoln was a Guest in 1844 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Revolutionary War Honor Roll - Spencer County (approx. 0.3 miles away); Vietnam Honor Roll (approx. 0.8 miles away); Knottsville, Kentucky/Leonard Knott Homestead (approx. 11.3 miles away in Kentucky).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 26, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 429 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. submitted on September 26, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.