Chicago in Cook County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Site of Fort Dearborn
Fort Dearborn served as the major western garrison of the United States until destroyed during an Indian uprising in August of 1812. A second fort, erected on the same site in 1816, was demolished in 1858.
Designated a Chicago Landmark on September 15, 1971, by the City Council of Chicago.
Richard J. Daley, Mayor
Erected 1971 by Commission of Chicago Historical and Architectural Landmarks.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Chicago Landmarks marker series.
Location. 41° 53.305′ N, 87° 37.487′ W. Marker is in Chicago, Illinois, in Cook County. Marker is on East Wacker Drive near North Michigan Avenue. Touch for map. This marker is located at the SW corner of the Michigan Avenue Bridge. Marker is at or near this postal address: 98 East Wacker Drive, Chicago IL 60601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Dearborn (a few steps from this marker); Chicago River (a few steps from this marker); Rene Robert Cavalier Sieur de La Salle (a few steps from this marker); Old Fort Dearborn (within shouting distance of this marker); Regeneration (within shouting distance of this marker); 333 North Michigan Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Green Bay Road (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Louis Jolliet & Père Jacques Marquette (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chicago.
Also see . . . Fort Dearborn - Wikipedia. (Submitted on September 28, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 28, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 1,028 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 28, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 7, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.