Grand Haven in Ottawa County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Grand Trunk Western Standard Coaling Tower
All ladders, stairways and other steel hardware were stripped from the tower when it was removed from operation in the early 1950's.
In use, a hopper car of coal was spottedover the pit, under the arches, the bottom hopper doors were opened and the coal dropped by gravity from the car into the pit where a bucket hoisted the coal to the storage bin at the top of the tower.
The attached concrete shed contained the power source and mechanical equipmetn to activate the hoist bucket which was controlled by an operator in the hoist tower.
The locomotive tender was spotted under the coal discharge chute and a lever activated by the fireman opened a door in the chute to allows the coal to pour into the tender by gravity.
Construction - Concrete and steel
Type of Loading- Bucket and hoist
Height - 79 feet
Width - 28 feet
Length - 30 feet
Capacity - 200 tones of coal
Erected by Pere Marquette 1223 Preservation Society.
Location. 43° 4.035′ N, 86° 13.702′ W. Marker is in Grand Haven, Michigan, in Ottawa County. Marker is on Jackson Ave near First Street Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Grand Haven MI 49417, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Grand Trunk Western, Wood Caboose No. 77915 (a few steps from this marker); Pere Marquette Caboose No. A-986 (within shouting distance of this marker); Pere Marquette Auto Box Car No 72222 (within shouting distance of this marker); Grand Trunk Western Bridge Approach Signal (within shouting distance of this marker); Pere Marquette Steam Locomotive No. 1223 Class N-1, 2-8-4 Berkshire Type (within shouting distance of this marker); Grand Trunk Depot (approx. 0.3 miles away); Central School (approx. half a mile away); Grand Haven (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Haven.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 17, 2008, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. This page has been viewed 3,575 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 17, 2008, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.