Knottsville in Daviess County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Knottsville, Kentucky/Leonard Knott Homestead
On this site in 1827, Leonard Knott built the first house in Knottsville. James Millay named the town in 1833 when he opened a store and post office nearby. In 1834, the name was officially set in the Kentucky Legislature by the Honorable William R. Griffith, and the town was formally laid out by Millay and Griffith in 1836.
Dedicated to the people of Knottsville
Leonard Knott Homestead
In 1795, James Knott emigrated from Maryland to Cox’s Creek Settlement in Nelson County, Ky., as part of the “League of Catholic Families.” Born in 1797, his son Leonard married Mary M. Drury and moved to Daviess County in 1826. They settled on this site in 1827 and were founding members of St. Lawrence Catholic Church.
In memory of Leonard and Mary Knot
Erected 2011 by Kentucky Historical Society and Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 2354.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 37° 46.052′ N, 86° 53.609′ W. Marker is in Knottsville, Kentucky, in Daviess County. Marker is on Kentucky Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9964 Hwy 144, Philpot KY 42366, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Abraham Lincoln (approx. 11.3 miles away in Indiana); A Rocky Beginning (approx. 11.3 miles away in Indiana); A Visit Home (approx. 11½ miles away in Indiana); Site of Rockport Tavern (approx. 11.6 miles away in Indiana); Abraham Lincoln was a Guest in 1844 (approx. 11.6 miles away in Indiana); Revolutionary War Honor Roll - Spencer County (approx. 11.6 miles away in Indiana); Vietnam Honor Roll (approx. 12 miles away in Indiana); County Named - 1829 (approx. 12.1 miles away).
Also see . . . KHS to Dedicate Historical Marker to Honor Leonard Knott Homestead. Kentucky Historical Society (Submitted on October 4, 2011, by Jeffrey Durbin of Gaithersburg, Maryland.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 4, 2011, by Jeffrey Durbin of Gaithersburg, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,082 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 4, 2011, by Jeffrey Durbin of Gaithersburg, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?