Madison in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Early Religious Life
Replacing a frame chapel (1808, site unknown), Methodists used one of the original lots to erect this brick edifice (1844). In 1838, Baptists built their meetinghouse near the town spring; in 1859, they moved to S. Main Street. The Presbyterians built on S. Main Street (1842). Episcopalians organized in 1846 and built a chapel near the W. Central Avenue gate (razed 1939 and added to Old Cemetery).
Churches were centers for religious and social life, often hosting orations of the Morgan County Temperance Society, Martinean Society, and Masonic celebrations. By 1850, both the Baptist and Methodist congregations would also pioneer and fund advanced education institutions for women.
Erected 2011 by City of Madison, Madison BiCentennial Commission 1809-2009.
Location. 33° 35.6′ N, 83° 28.35′ W. Marker is in Madison, Georgia, in Touch for map. The marker stands at the Church of the Advent. Marker is at or near this postal address: 338 Academy Street, Madison GA 30650, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Formal Southern Landscapes (within shouting distance of this marker); Early Academies (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The March to the Sea (about 600 feet away); Madison Historic Cemeteries (about 600 feet away); The Stoneman Raid (about 600 feet away); Foundation to Consolidation (about 700 feet away); Joshua Hill Home (about 700 feet away); Advanced Education Center (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 8, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 366 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 8, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on October 9, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.