Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Seaford in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Seaford Fire Department

 
 
Seaford Fire Department Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, December 8, 2007
1. Seaford Fire Department Marker
Inscription. On November 14, 1901, a group of concerned citizens met in the Seaford town conncil room for the purpose of discussing the organization of a fire company. By the end of the month, over 50 person had volunteered. The company was formally named the Seaford Volunteer Fire Department. W. H. Miller was elected president, and T. H. Scott was chose to be the first chief. During the early years, the Department's equipment consisted mainly of ladder trailers and hand-drawn hose reels. The first motorized vehicle was a new Seagrave engine, purchased in 1921. Since that time the Department has continue to upgrade and modernize its equipment, adding aerial and rescue trucks to its fleet of engines. A "First Aid Squad" was organized in 1933, and the first ambulance was purchased the following year. For many years the Department was housed in a fram building at this location. The present structure was completed in 1950 and expanded in 1972.

Today, over one hundred men and women continue to serve the Seaford community, providing fire fighting, rescue, and ambulance services.

Dedicated to the spirit of the N.Y.F.D.
in remembrance of 9-11-01

 
Erected 2002 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-164.)
 
Location.
100 Year Commemoration Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, December 8, 2007
2. 100 Year Commemoration Marker
38° 38.527′ N, 75° 36.781′ W. Marker is in Seaford, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is at the intersection of King Street and Cannon Street, on the left when traveling east on King Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Seaford DE 19973, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. John's United Methodist Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mount Olivet United Methodist Church (about 500 feet away); Old Seaford Post Office (about 600 feet away); The Delaware Railroad (approx. 0.2 miles away); Governor William H. H. Ross (approx. mile away); St. Luke's Episcopal Church (approx. mile away); Forty & Eight Boxcar (approx. mile away); Nanticoke Post No. 6 (approx. mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Seaford.
 
Categories. 20th CenturyCharity & Public Work
 
Hand-drawn Hose Reel image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, December 8, 2007
3. Hand-drawn Hose Reel
S.V.F.D. Stone image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, December 8, 2007
4. S.V.F.D. Stone
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 19, 2008, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,495 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 19, 2008, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement