Jersey City in Hudson County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
New York Sculptures
The French government commissioned Bartholdi to create a sculpture of the Marquis de Lafayette as a gift to America for its support during the Franco-Prussian War. The sculpture shows Lafayette offering his heart and his sword to the colonists fighting in the American Revolution. Bartholdi’s sculpture of Lafayette was unveiled in Union Square, New York City on September 6, 1876. A four-hour multinational parade was held as part of the celebration.
Joseph Pulitzer, publisher of the “New York World” commissioned Bartholdi to design a sculpture of George Washington and the Marquis de Lafayette as a gift to France. It was unveiled in Paris in 1895. In 1900, a replica was made public in Morningside Park, New York City.
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. 40° 41.385′ N, 74° 2.782′ W. Marker is in Jersey City, New Jersey, in Hudson County. Touch for map. Marker is located on Liberty Island, near the food concession area. Marker is in this post office area: Jersey City NJ 07304, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bartholdi (here, next to this marker); The New Colossus (here, next to this marker); “Mother of Exiles” Emma Lazarus (a few steps from this marker); “The New Colossus” (a few steps from this marker); Inside the Statue (a few steps from this marker); Symbolism (a few steps from this marker); Statue Facts (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jersey City.
More about this marker. Bartholdi’s sculptures of the Marquis de Lafayette and of Lafayette and Washington appear on the marker.
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 8, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 355 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 8, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.