Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Sixth Ward Public Library

Claude and Starck, Architects

 

1912

 
Sixth Ward Public Library Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, November 30, 2011
1. Sixth Ward Public Library Marker
Inscription. The Sixth Ward Public Library was funded by a grant from Andrew Carnegie and is the oldest existing Carnegie library building in Madison. It is significant as the work of architects Claude and Starck, and is designed in the Collegiate Gothic style executed in red brick with limestone arches, niches and banding. The style was popular for academic buildings and sought to emulate the character of elite colleges such as Oxford and Cambridge. Original interior features included a lower level auditorium for lectures and an upper level reading room featuring a barrel vaulted ceiling.

Designated October 02, 1995
 
Erected 2011 by the Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 131.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Carnegie Libraries, and the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission marker series.
 
Location. 43° 5.054′ N, 89° 21.766′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of Williamson Street and North Baldwin Street, on the right when traveling east on Williamson Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1249 Williamson Street, Madison WI 53703, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Toward Revolution / 1970's Vision
Sixth Ward Public Library Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, November 30, 2011
2. Sixth Ward Public Library Marker
The marker is on the right corner of this, the Williamson Street side of the building.
(about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); John A. Johnson made Madison's Factory District Flourish (approx. 0.2 miles away); B. B. Clarke House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gay Liberation Sculpture (approx. 0.2 miles away); Orton Park (approx. mile away); George Soelch Investment House (approx. mile away); Mills Brothers Commercial Building (approx. mile away); Curtis-Kittleson House (approx. mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
 
Regarding Sixth Ward Public Library. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "This building was the first branch public library in Madison, and is the oldest surviving library building in the city. It is one of 63 libraries in Wisconsin built with funds donated by philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. It consists of two sections: an entry and a main library block. Its brick construction with stone detailing, pointed arches and vertical piers, suggestive of buttresses, are evocative of the Collegiate Gothic style, popular in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries."
Sixth Ward Public Library Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, November 30, 2011
3. Sixth Ward Public Library Marker
This is the south corner of the building, showing the back of the building on the right.

 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. This is a list of markers for buildings designed by Claude and Starck.
 
Also see . . .  Madison Landmarks Commission. The landmark nomination form for the building (pdf). (Submitted on November 30, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.) 
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkEducation
 
Sixth Ward Public Library Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, November 30, 2011
4. Sixth Ward Public Library Marker
This is a closeup of the back of the building.
Sixth Ward Public Library Photo image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, November 30, 2011
5. Sixth Ward Public Library Photo
This photo of the upper level reading room circa 1945, featuring the barrel vaulted ceiling mentioned in the marker, is just inside the front door of the building.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 30, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 444 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 30, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.
Paid Advertisement