In 1888, Charlton joined five other businessmen to develop land along the B & O Railroad consisting of approximately 400 acres; 50 by 100 foot lots adjoining 50 foot streets laid out in an irregular pattern. They named this development Charlton Heights, after Benjamin Charlton. In the same year, the Charlton Heights Improvement Company (CHIC) was established. CHIC was created to attract white-collar workers from the city to this area. About two dozen, large Queen Anne and other Victorian-era style homes were built here.
After the demise of CHIC, Charlton Heights was renamed Berwyn Heights on April, 1896. The name Charlton Heights lives on in current land records.
Erected 2009 by Berwyn
Location. 38° 59.227′ N, 76° 54.661′ W. Marker is in Town of Berwyn Heights, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is at the intersection of Charlton Avenue and Goucher Drive, on the right when traveling south on Charlton Avenue. Touch for map. This is one in a series of markers erected by the Berwyn Heights Historical Committee. The markers commemorate the historic street names of the Town of Berwyn Heights, which were frequently named after notable people. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7617 Charlton Avenue, College Park MD 20740, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Carrington Avenue (approx. ¼ mile away); Town of Berwyn Heights (approx. 0.3 miles away); Washington, Spa Spring & Gretta Railroad (approx. 0.4 miles away); Edmonston Road (approx. 0.4 miles away); Berwyn Heights Armed Forces Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Waugh Avenue (approx. half a mile away); Family, Church and Community in Lakeland (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lakeland at the Beginning (approx. 0.6 miles away).
Categories. • Notable Persons •
More. Search the internet for Charlton Avenue.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 29, 2012, by Kerstin Harper of Berwyn Heights, Maryland. This page has been viewed 389 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 29, 2012, by Kerstin Harper of Berwyn Heights, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.