Leesylvania State Park in Prince William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Freestone Point Hunt Club
Members of the Club maintained a comfortable two-story frame lodge at Freestone Point. Waterfowl taken by the hunters were refrigerated in lead-lined ice boxes located in a shed behind the lodge. The hunters used wooden decoys and hunted from blinds along the shore, and from boats or sink boxes in the river and creeks. Hunting at the Club was good, and records indicate that 1,544 ducks and geese were taken in 1928. However, decades of uncontrolled hunting and increased pollution in the area eventually resulted in a dramatic decline in waterfowl populations. Club records clearly reflect that decline, with only 272 ducks and gees taken during the1941 season.
The Club ceased to exist in 1957, when Freestone Point was purchased for the development of a waterfront resort. Gradually, the lodge fell into disrepair, and today all that remains is this chimney, located at what is now the park’s amphitheater.
Location. 38° 35.507′ N, 77° 14.911′ W. Marker is in Leesylvania State Park, Virginia, in Prince William County. Marker can be reached from Daniel K Ludwig Drive. Touch for map. Marker is near the amphitheater in Leesylvania State Park. Marker is in this post office area: Woodbridge VA 22191, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Freestone Point Earthworks (within shouting distance of this marker); Lee’s Woods Historic Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); "Light Horse Harry" Lee (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); "At the Point of Rock" (about 400 feet away); "A Pacific Paradise on the Potomac" (about 500 feet away); A Fight on the Potomac (about 600 feet away); Swimming in Bounty (about 700 feet away); The Freestone Fisheries (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leesylvania State Park.
More about this marker. At the upper left on the marker is a picture of the “Club’s lodge, as it appeared in 1985, shortly before demolition.”
At the lower left on the marker is a picture captioned, “Members of the Freestone Point Club stand by the lodge, game in hand.”
On the lower right of the marker is an artist’s rendition
Categories. • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Natural Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 12, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,638 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 12, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.