La Porte in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First City Hall and Jail
In 1907, a new city hall and calaboose were built. The building was to be 20 x 24 feet and would contain a meeting hall and two jail cells. The building served as city hall and jail from 1907 to 1931. In that year, the little wooden building was moved across the street where it now stands, and a new two-story city hall was built where it had been located.
The old wooden building served for many years as the American Legion Hall. It has served a variety of purposes and is now maintained by the City of La Porte and still serves as a general meeting venue for small groups. It is one of the few historical buildings left in La Porte.
Erected by City of La Porte.
Location. 29° 39.893′ N, 95° 1.281′ W. Marker is in La Porte Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: La Porte TX 77571, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Besson Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Five Points - The Hub of the City (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); La Porte (approx. 0.9 miles away); Saint Mary's Seminary (approx. 0.9 miles away); La Porte's Original Library (approx. one mile away); The La Porte-Sylvan Beach Depot (approx. one mile away); John A. Grimes Memorial Park (approx. one mile away); New Washington (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in La Porte.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for First City Hall and Jail.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 19, 2019. This page originally submitted on March 17, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 534 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 17, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 2. submitted on May 18, 2019, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 3. submitted on March 17, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.