Norwalk in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Liberty Tree Memorial
This American Liberty Elm was named after “The Liberty Tree: Our Country’s first Symbol of Freedom.” On the morning of August 14, 1765, the people of Boston awakened to discover two effigies suspended from an elm tree in protest of the hated Stamp Act. From that day forward that elm became known as “The Liberty Tree.” It stood in silent witness to countless meetings, speeches and celebrations, and became the rallying place for the Sons of Liberty. In August of 1775, as a last act of violence prior to their evacuation of Boston, British soldiers cut it down because it bore the name “Liberty.”
Elm Research Institute, Keene, NH
Marker series. This marker is included in the Historic Trees marker series.
Location. 41° 6.823′ N, 73° 24.428′ W. Marker is in Norwalk, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is on Sunset Hill Avenue near East Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Marker is located in front of Norwalk City Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 125 East Avenue, Norwalk CT 06851, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are Burning of Norwalk (approx. 0.2 miles away); Norwalk (approx. 0.3 miles away); Norwalk World War I Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. Paul’s Historic Graveyard (approx. 0.4 miles away); Parish of St. Paul’s (approx. half a mile away); St. Paul’s Church (approx. half a mile away); Norwalk Founded (approx. 0.7 miles away); Battle of the Rocks Monument (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Norwalk.
Categories. • War, US Revolutionary •
More. Search the internet for Liberty Tree Memorial.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 26, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 792 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 26, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.