Chelsea in Washtenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Chelsea / Chelsea Depot
In the 1830s the Congdon brothers, Elisha and James, settled the land where Chelsea is located. In 1848 they offered the Michigan Central Railroad a free site on which to build a station. The first and succeeding structures were freight stations. The first shipment sent on May 2, 1850, was a barrel of eggs weighing 130 pounds. For a time more wool was shipped from Chelsea than from any other place in the state. Grain, apple, stock, and meat shipments were also large. In 1880 the Michigan Central established Chelsea as a passenger service point. The depot was built with two waiting rooms--the east for women and children, the west for men.
In 1880, Chelsea was chosen by the Michigan Central Railroad for an experiment in upgrading the appearance of rural stations. Mason and Rice of Detroit were commissioned as the new station's architects. Their design was Victorian, characterized by numerous gables and gingerbread embellishments. This depot served patrons of the Michigan Central until 1975 when the company was taken over by Amtrak. In 1981, Amtrak
Erected 1988 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1356.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 19.153′ N, 84° 1.173′ W. Marker is in Chelsea, Michigan, in Washtenaw County. Marker is on Jackson Street east of North Main Street (Michigan Highway 52), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 125 Jackson St, Chelsea MI 48118, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Welfare Building (within shouting distance of this marker); First Congregational Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Oak Grove Cemetery Civil War Memorial (approx. half a mile away); North Lake Methodist Church (approx. 4.6 miles away); Dexter Area Civil War Memorial (approx. 6.9 miles away); Dexter Depot / Track Pans St. Joseph Catholic Church (approx. 7.1 miles away); Salem Church (approx. 8.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chelsea.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 5, 2012, by Dave Wilcox of Grass Lake, Michigan. This page has been viewed 325 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on April 5, 2012, by Dave Wilcox of Grass Lake, Michigan. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.