El Dorado in Butler County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Oil Field Lease House
Once the oil boom began in 1915, men and their families flooded the El Dorado area to find work in the oil fields. Small 2 to 5 room houses were built by the oil companies on land that was leased - thus the lease house or company house. By living on the job site workers could keep wells running full time. Some Butler County leases included the Wilson, Shumway, Paulson, Enyart, Fox-Bush and Koogler. These were not classified as towns, only a group of houses and maybe a store and post office.
You were required to work for the oil company in order to rent a house. Rent averaged $7.00 per month. The houses were all painted the same company color or combination of colors which represented his employer. The walls were mostly made of beaver board (an early pressed board) with three inch strips covering the seams. They had a front porch, sometimes a back porch, a path to the outhouse (there was no water or sewer system on a lease) and a water pump.
These houses were often right next to rigs and pumps. Children were warned not to go near the oil field equipment, but riding the rod lines that came out of the central power units became a favorite past time for some.
Erected by Kansas Oil Museum.
Location. 37° 49.016′ Touch for map. Marker is in the fenced outdoor Kansas Oil Museum exhibit area of the Butler County History Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 383 East Central Avenue (U.S. 54), El Dorado KS 67042, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tool Rack (a few steps from this marker); Model K Star Spudder (a few steps from this marker); Steel Oil Derrick / 1930's Cable-Tool Drilling Rig (a few steps from this marker); Pole Trailer (a few steps from this marker); Cable Tool Drilling Rig (within shouting distance of this marker); Kansas Oil Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); Star Drilling Machine (within shouting distance of this marker); Mrs. Addie Cowley Bradley (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in El Dorado.
Also see . . . Butler County History Center and Kansas Oil Museum. (Submitted on June 6, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Exploration • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 6, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 460 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 6, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.