Jourdanton in Atascosa County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Jourdanton soon had utilities, a bank, a newspaper (The Atascosa Monitor), a post office and several businesses. The community also had a school, several churches and a cemetery. Residents, encouraged by the settlement's rapid growth, and led by newspaper owner Ralph Roy "Railroad" Smith, began to promote the idea of Jourdanton becoming county seat. In 1910, Atascosa County residents voted that the county seat be moved from Pleasanton to Jourdanton. In 1911, the town incorporated, and by 1914, it had two railroads and the population had doubled. Many residents were farmers or ranchers.
By the 1940s, oil and natural gas reserves were discovered nearby, which led to another period of growth; later, the discovery and mining of
Erected 2009. (Marker Number 15743.)
Location. 28° 55.46′ N, 98° 32.14′ W. Marker is in Jourdanton, Texas, in Atascosa County. Marker is on Oak Street (State Highway 97) 0.2 miles east of Jourdanton Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1604 East State Highway 97, Jourdanton TX 78026, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ralph Roy Smith (a few steps from this marker); St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Atascosa County Courthouse (approx. 0.7 miles away); Atascosa County (approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named Atascosa County Courthouse (approx. 0.7 miles away); Old Atascosa County Jail (approx. 0.7 miles away); Jourdanton United Methodist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Martin Abstract Company (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jourdanton.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 20, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. This page has been viewed 439 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 21, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.