General Casimir Pulaski
With recommendations from Benjamin Franklin and the Marquis de Lafayette, in 1777 Pulaski joined the American War for Independence. On September 15, 1777, he was commissioned a Brigadier General and made “Commander of the Horse.” He is considered the “Father of the American Cavalry.” At largely his own expense, he formed an independent cavalry and infantry corps in Baltimore, known as that time as ‘Pulaski’s Legion.” While leading a cavalry charge against the British at Savannah, Georgia, he was mortally wounded on October 14, 1779.
In 1929, the Pulaski Monument Committee commissioned architect A.C. Radziszewski and sculptor Hans Schuler to design a monument depicting Pulaski leading his final cavalry charge. On October 14, 1951, the completed monument was dedicated.
In 2001, for its 50th anniversary, under the leadership of the Pulaski Monument Restoration
While visiting Bethlehem, PA, Pulaski received a silken banner made by Moravian nuns. This is one of the first instances that the US abbreviation was used. Image courtesy of the Maryland Historical Society.
Pulaski Monument Restoration Committee, Sponsor Sheila Dixon, Mayor
Location. 39° 17.22′ N, 76° 34.614′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is at the intersection of Eastern Avenue and South Linwood Ave on Eastern Avenue. The General Casimir Pulaski marker is located on the grounds of Patterson Park at the south east corner. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baltimore MD 21224, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Star-Spangled Banner Centennial Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); Show of Strength (approx. 0.4 miles away); This Cannon Marks Rodgers Bastion (was approx. 0.4 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Patterson Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); Prelude to War (approx. 0.4
Categories. • War, US Revolutionary •
More. Search the internet for General Casimir Pulaski.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 3, 2018. This page originally submitted on November 10, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 712 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 10, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. 7. submitted on April 22, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 8, 9, 10. submitted on June 3, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.