Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Corsicana in Navarro County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Early Texas Natural Gas Pipelines

 
 
Early Texas Natural Gas Pipelines Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 17, 2012
1. Early Texas Natural Gas Pipelines Marker
Inscription. First public use of natural gas began in Texas in 1902, from transmission lines on this street, serving local homes and businesses. These early lines were forerunners of mains that now transport Texas gas to three-fourths of the United States and Mexico. Other natural gas industry pioneer achievements in Navarro County were the first use of meters, in 1905 at Chatfield (12 miles Northeast), and first use of gas in pumping oil wells in the Corsicana field, 1906. Developers of Navarro fields expanded to Clay County, and in 1907 were supplying natural gas to Henrietta and Wichita Falls; Fort Worth and Dallas were furnished service in 1909-1910. By 1918 new fields supplied Laredo, San Antonio, Waco. Today Texas is spanned by over 83,000 miles of gas pipelines. A 1918 discovery opened the Amarillo field, soon recognized as the world's foremost gas field -- and point of beginning, during the 1920s, of the first interstate natural gas pipelines. Texas now has 27 pipeline companies exporting gas. Annual production rate is nearly eight trillion cubic feet. A number of wells deliver more than 20 million cubic feet per day. Texas has 42.3 per cent of proven United States natural gas reserves.
Incise in base Early Travel, Communication and Transportation Series, erected by The Moody Foundation
 
Erected
Early Texas Natural Gas Pipelines Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 17, 2012
2. Early Texas Natural Gas Pipelines Marker
1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 7196.)
 
Location. 32° 5.545′ N, 96° 27.877′ W. Marker is in Corsicana, Texas, in Navarro County. Marker is on South Main Street near West 6th Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located at the Corsicana Post Office Building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 116 South Main Street, Corsicana TX 75110, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Henry G. Damon (within shouting distance of this marker); Corsicana Army Airfield (within shouting distance of this marker); Corsicana City Jail of 1908 (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Merchants Opera House (about 500 feet away); Samuel Wistar Johnson, M. D. (about 500 feet away); R.N. White (about 500 feet away); Corsicana Public Library (about 600 feet away); State National Bank of Corsicana (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corsicana.
 
Also see . . .  Navarro County - Texas Birth of The Natural Gas Industry. Researched by Carl Mirus; Originally published in "The Navarro County Scroll", 1967 ... The Corsicana Gas and Electric Company was started about 1890.... (Submitted on November 28, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
Early Texas Natural Gas Pipelines Marker at the Corsicana Post Office Building image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 17, 2012
3. Early Texas Natural Gas Pipelines Marker at the Corsicana Post Office Building
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 26, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 319 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 27, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement