Artesia in Eddy County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
With the arrival of the railroad in 1894, Artesia became first, a cattle shipping point and economic base for area ranchers, and second, a home for determined farmers irrigating their farms with artesian water. The strong wills of these farmers and ranchers were matched by the risk-taking oil wildcatters who burst onto the scene after oil was discovered in 1924.
Together these rugged and determined individuals set the stage for the development and growth of Artesia. To this day, Artesia is home to a significant number of risk-takers and entrepreneurs, who are not only involved in far-reaching business ventures, but also deeply committed to making Artesia a better place to live. This monument is dedicated to Artesia's can-do attitude and, most of all, its Independent Spirit that has become so well-known throughout New Mexico.
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway."
Location. 32° 50.553′ N, 104° 23.841′ W. Marker is in Artesia, New Mexico, in Eddy County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 82 and U.S. 285, on the right when traveling west on U.S. 82. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Artesia NM 88210, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Lady of Artesia (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Derrick Floor (approx. 0.3 miles away); Castaño de Sosa’s Route (approx. 2.3 miles away); Artesia (approx. 3.7 miles away); a different marker also named Artesia (approx. 8.3 miles away); Seven Rivers Cemetery (approx. 8.3 miles away); Civilian Conservation Corps (approx. 10.1 miles away).
Categories. • Animals • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 27, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 446 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 27, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.