Indiana's Northern Boundary Line
Indiana admitted by the U.S. Congress as nineteenth state 1816. Enabling Act moved northern boundary ten miles north of southernmost tip of Lake Michigan providing direct access to the lake. Boundary first surveyed 1817 by William Harris. Boundary disputes with Michigan and Ohio continued until Michigan statehood 1837.
(Map of Indiana State Boundary Line and Indiana Territory Boundary Line)
Enabling Act of 1816 established Indiana's northern boundary (3 miles north of here) as a line "drawn through a point ten miles north of the southern extreme of Lake Michigan."
Erected 2000 by Indiana Historical Bureau. (Marker Number 76.2000.1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 41° 43.589′ N, 84° 50.756′ W. Marker is near Fremont, Indiana, in Steuben County. Marker is at the intersection of State Road 120 and Fountain Road, on the left when traveling east on State Road 120. Touch for map. Marker is at northwest corner of intersection. Marker is in this post office area: Fremont IN 46737, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. The list includes other historical markers about the Indiana Territory northern boundary line.
Categories. • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 30, 2012, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 599 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 30, 2012, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.