Huntersville in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Church Building
The building before you dates back to 1833. It is the oldest, standing, continuously used worship facility in Mecklenburg County. It was the second bricked Presbyterian Church in rural North Carolina. As the third building on the site, it pre-dates a log structure built prior to the Revolutionary War. Inside the church in the History Room is a drawing by the hand of John McKnitt Alexander that details the interior layout of this initial building. Probably the second building preceding this one was a weatherboard structure with a large wrap-around porch so that mothers could seek respite for babies and children during services that would last three hours, twice a day on Sundays.
During construction on this present building in 1833, part or all of the second church house was moved over to the farm of the pastor, the Rev. John Williamson, on Patterson Road. Sarah Doby Williamson, his wife, soon was using it to start the first academy for young women in the region. Parts of that structure stood until a fire in 1940. It is reported that the foundation remained until the site was bulldozed in the early 1990ís to become a warehouse for a hardware chain
If the light is right today, you should be able to distinguish two different grades of brick in the building. There is a line of darker bricks across the top under the stucco. Also 20% of the building in the front is this darker brick. This dates back to the main renovation project of 1859. The roof was literally raised, the windows doubled in height and a new front constructed. The style was changed from “Meeting House” to “Federal”. Probably the driving force for this remodeling was the addition of a new gallery for 142 enslaved members of the church. The entrance to this slave gallery can be seen on the east side of the building. There you can find more information about slavery and the church.
In the photograph above, you can see the other major renovation. In 1886, the women of the church raised money to add a recess to the interior of the Santuary. A tall pulpit with walk-up steps was put into this recess. The purpose was to act as something of an amplifier for the preaching voice. Presently, the recess serves as part of the church loft. Apparently at the moment this recess was still a hole in the wall, the Charleston Earthquake hit. The tremors were so serious in this area that there was some fear of the church walls falling because of the big hole in the back wall. Therefore, an earthquake cable was added from this side wall
In 1928, the first major building project in 95 years occurred with the addition of a Sunday School building onto the worship building. In addition to classrooms, a fellowship hall was on the second floor. This served the needs of the church until 1954 when a new education building was added to the campus.
The original 1833 building was built during the very successful pastorate of the Rev. John Williamson. Rev. Williamson contributed to the founding of Davidson College in 1837, first as the chairman of the initial building committee and then as the chairman of the board of trustees. Assuming that he influenced the construction of the buildings on both campuses, it is easy to see similarities between this church and the “row houses” up at Davidson – especially the masonry and bricks as well as the windows and their ledges.
Hopewell actually started in the 1750ís at the home of one of the founding members – Richard Barry, who lived about a mile due north. That site has been preserved with more information about the very influential Barry family. Simply go north on Beatties Ford Road. After you
This monument given in loving memory of the Van Buren Potts family. Originally a stepping stone to the Potts house on Patterson Road, this stone may have previously been a front step to Hopewell Presbyterian Church or Bethel Presbyterian Church.
Location. 35° 21.957′ N, 80° 53.937′ W. Marker is in Huntersville, North Carolina, in Mecklenburg County. Marker is on Beaties Ford Road north of Sample Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of the Hopewell Presbyterian Church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10500 Beaties Ford Road, Huntersville NC 28078, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. William Lee Davidson (a few steps from this marker); General William Lee Davidson (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic Latta Plantation (within shouting distance of this marker); “Upping Block” (within shouting distance of this marker); Hopewell Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The Oldest Cemetery and the Walls (within shouting distance of this marker); The Servant Entrance (within shouting distance of this marker); Richard Barry (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Huntersville.
More about this marker. A photograph of “The back of the Church Building, circa 1917” appears at the top of the marker.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 12, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 390 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 12, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.