Monterey in Monterey County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The other passengers continued past the freight warehouse to the Monterey passenger depot, which was the terminus for those arriving in Monterey. Its location provided a spectacular view of the bay and convenient access to the downtown area. The appearance of the freight warehouse and passenger depot buildings has been altered by renovations done over the years. However, the history that these buildings represents remains in their classic design origins.
These depots are important to Monterey’s past. The passenger depot represents the growth of tourism and local population, while the freight depot signifies merchants and industry.
Location. 36° 36.021′ N, 121° 52.476′ W. Marker is in Monterey, California, in Monterey County. Marker can be reached from Del Monte Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. This marker is located
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. French Consulate (approx. 0.7 miles away); Juan Bautista de Anza (approx. 0.9 miles away); Orientations At The Marsh Building (approx. 0.9 miles away); Casa Buelna (approx. 0.9 miles away); San Carlos Parish Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); Monterey's Historic Railway -- from Passengers to Industry (approx. 0.9 miles away); American Revolutionary War Historical Site (approx. 0.9 miles away); De Anza Expedition (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monterey.
Also see . . . The Monterey Branch - Abandoned Rails. The Monterey Branch was built in 1879 and opened to traffic on January 1, 1880; it linked San Francisco to the Hotel Del Monte and Pebble Beach. It branched from the Southern Pacific Coast Line main line from a wye at Castroville, just north of Salinas. (Submitted on February 26, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 26, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 295 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 26, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.