Bowie in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Bowie Caboose
The crew could sit in upper level seats with a view of the length of a freight train from the cupola, the raised viewing area on the roof. The interior of the caboose provided a toilet and wash basin, a coal stove for heat and cooking, two oil lamps for light, an ice box, and two sets of upper and lower bunks.
This is the former Norfolk and Western Railroad’s CF Class caboose #518-303. It was built at the N&W East End Shops in Roanoke, Virginia, in April 1922. The N&W did not serve Bowie, but did enter Maryland at Hagerstown. After nearly fifty years of service, she was retired to a scrap yard, but rescued, and given to the City of Bowie in 1972. It sat in Allen Pond Park, suffered a fire in the late 1970s, and was relocated to this museum in 2000, and restored on the exterior.
This photograph appeared in Trains and Travel magazine, March 1953, and shows a Norfolk & Western caboose just
It would appear that our caboose has a historic connection to the Bowie area and the Pope's Creek Railroad line running from Bowie to southern Maryland.
While not conclusive, it is interesting that this is the same class caboose as the Bowie Railroad Station Museum’s piece, and is very likely the Bowie caboose after it saw active service on the N&W. By this era, the Pennsylvania Railroad Company controlled the Norfolk and Western.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 39° 0.439′ N, 76° 46.75′ W. Marker was in Bowie, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker could be reached from Chestnut Avenue near 11th Street (Maryland Route 564). Touch for map. Marker is at the Bowie Railroad Museum. Marker was in this post office area: Bowie MD 20715, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named The Bowie Caboose (here, next to this marker); From Huntington to Bowie - The History (here, next to this marker); Bowie Railroad Station Museum (here, next to this marker); Bowie State University (approx. Jay Norwood "Ding" Darling Conservation Trail (approx. 1.7 miles away); Conservation Leaders (approx. 1.7 miles away); Holy Trinity Church (approx. 2.4 miles away); William Levitt and Sons, Belair-at-Bowie (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bowie.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 24, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,829 times since then and 19 times this year. Last updated on May 18, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. Photos: 1. submitted on October 24, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. 2, 3. submitted on December 20, 2007, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on May 18, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.