Springfield in Hampden County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Springﬁeld Armory National Historic Site
Money was tight, so work on the fence proceeded slowly; begun in 1852, it was not completed until 1861. Ripley reduced some of the cost by using recycled iron from obsolete cannons. Today, the fence defines the boundary of the National Historic Site.
Originally, the main gate to the armory was on State Street, directly ahead. When the grade of State Street was lowered in the 1870s to accommodate horse-drawn cars, the entrance was transferred to the corner of State and Byers Streets. The octagonal guard house shown in the picture was built around 1875 and replaced by the present structure in 1908.
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. 42° 6.383′ N, 72° 34.85′ W. Marker is in Springfield Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Springfield MA 01105, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Innovation Continues at STCC (within shouting distance of this marker); Forging Arms for Our Nation (within shouting distance of this marker); The Military Presence (within shouting distance of this marker); Armory Square (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Main Arsenal (about 500 feet away); From Arsenal to Icon (about 500 feet away); Gen. Henry Knox Trail (about 500 feet away); Master Armorer's House (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Springfield.
Categories. • Government •
More. Search the internet for Armory Fence.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 7, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 530 times since then and 27 times this year. Last updated on June 10, 2013. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 7, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.