Bowie in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
During the ownership of William Woodward (1876-1953), the Belair stud flourished again. From the first victory at the track in 1909, Woodward established the Belair name as preeminent in the racing field. Gallant Fox claimed all three of the Triple Crown races in 1930, only the second horse ever to do so. His son, Omaha, would follow suit in 1935. Nashua, Horse of the Year in 1955, was the last great Belair racehorse.
This stable, built in 1907, housed the thoroughbreds, as well as the carriage and riding horses, and contained stalls, tack rooms, a carriage house, and the apartment for the stable master. It now serves as part of the City of Bowie Museums System.
Erected by The City of Bowie.
Location. 38° 57.986′ N, 76° 44.632′ W. Marker is in Bowie, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is at the Touch for map. Marker is about 100 feet south of Tulip Grove Drive. Marker is in this post office area: Bowie MD 20715, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Belair Stud Farm (within shouting distance of this marker); Belair (approx. 0.2 miles away); Belair on the Home Front (approx. 0.2 miles away); Belair Mansion (approx. 0.6 miles away); William Levitt and Sons, Belair-at-Bowie (approx. 0.8 miles away); Sacred Heart Chapel - White Marsh (approx. 1.8 miles away); Holy Trinity Church (approx. 1.9 miles away); Melford and Cemetery (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bowie.
Also see . . .
1. Belair Stables,. 2835 Belair Drive. Maryland Inventory of Historic Properties. (Submitted on April 26, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
2. African Americans at Belair Stable. (Submitted on July 2, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. jockeys; "Belair's expert horseman, Andrew Jackson"
Categories. • Animals • Industry & Commerce • Notable Places • Sports •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 16, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,715 times since then and 55 times this year. Last updated on July 2, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1. submitted on November 16, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. 2. submitted on April 26, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 3. submitted on July 2, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 4. submitted on November 16, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on April 26, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.