Near Rockdale in Franklin County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Snow Hill Covered Bridge
Built 1894-1895 over Johnson's Fork Creek by John H. Horn and William H. Butts to a Howe truss design by John Burkhart. All men were local residents. Bridge was important passageway to Cincinnati markets. Rests on stone abutments with wingwalls; includes X-braced framing. Bridge braced with iron bolts and vertical iron rods.
Bridge honors landowner Lemuel Snow, a Revolutionary War veteran. Deemed unsafe 1986 and closed to traffic. Community-supported restoration project resulted. Roof, wood flooring, and other elements replaced 1987; bridge reopened 1987. Listed in National Register of Historic Places 1995. Restoration and construction project begun 2000.
Erected 2005 by Indiana Historical Bureau, Franklin County Commissioners, and Franklin County Citizens for Historic Preservation. (Marker Number 24.2005.1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 39° 19.538′ N, 84° 51.134′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: West Harrison IN 47060, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Birthplace of William Bebb (approx. 4 miles away in Ohio); 1858 Morgan Township House / Copperheadism in Butler County (approx. 4.8 miles away in Ohio); Morgan's Great Raid (approx. 5.1 miles away); When the Civil War Came to Indiana (approx. 5.1 miles away); Canal Junction (approx. 5.4 miles away); Morgan's Raiders Enter Ohio (approx. 5.6 miles away); General John Morgan (approx. 5.8 miles away); Founding Members of the Morgan Township Fire Department (approx. 6 miles away in Ohio).
Also see . . . IHB Annotations. The Indiana Historical Bureau provides annotations for the text of the marker on their website. (Submitted on July 19, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.)
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 19, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 435 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 19, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.