Innsbruck, Tyrol, Austria
The New Seminary
—Universitätsstrasse 2 —
As the Court Church was being constructed (1553-63) according to plans of Nicholas Andrea Crivelli Turing the Younger (died 1558), and Marco della Bolia, this building was designed and built as a seminary for choral singers. From 1562 to 1784-85 it served as a Franciscan seminary, as attested to by its well-preserved Renaissance-style cloisters. After 1785 it was mainly as a school. Since 1929, it has been the home of the Tyrolean Folk Art Museum. The northern- and forwards part of the east wing was rebuilt in the Baroque style in 1719 by Georg Anton Gumpp.
Erected by Stadt Innsbruck (City of Innsbruck).
Location. 47° 16.112′ N, 11° 23.737′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Universitätsstrasse 2, Innsbruck, Tyrol 6020, Austria.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Court or Franciscan Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The Tower of the Coat of Arms (within shouting distance of this marker); The Old University (within shouting distance of this marker); The House of Archduke Sigismund of Tyrol (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Teutonic Order House (about 120 meters away); Precht House (about 150 meters away); Prechthaus (about 150 meters away); Historisches Rathaus (about 150 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Innsbruck.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 6, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 360 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 6, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.