Downtown in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Executive Oﬃce Building
State, War, and Navy Departments
Ground broken June 1871
Completed December 1875
Ground broken July 1872
Completed April 1879
Ground broken July 1879
Completed December 1882
West and Central Wings
Ground broken March 1884
Completed January 1888
Total construction time 17 years and 4 months
On this site in 1871 stood the President's stables, the Old Navy Building designed in 1797 by George Hadfield and the Old War Building designed in 1818 by James Hoban as companions to the Treasury and State Buildings on the west side of the White House. The present building was constructed in four stages around the two-story public offices, as they were officially known, in order to continue their use until the respective wings were completed.
At the demolition of "old war" in 1879 six columns from the entrance portico were used to decorate the Sheridan Gate entrance to Arlington National Cemetery.
On July 3, 1930, through congressional action, the building name was officially changed to "Department of State Building."
In 1949 the building was officially named the Executive Office Building and is now occupied by the President's Executive Office staff. It had been vacated by Navy
Two Presidents have had offices here: Herbert Hoover, December 26, 1929-April 30, 1930 and Richard Nixon 1969-1974; and five future presidents, Theodore Roosevelt, Assistant Secretary of the Navy; William Howard Taft, Secretary of War; Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Assistant Secretary of Navy; Lyndon B. Johnson, Vice-President; Gerald Ford, Vice President.
The design is generally described as "second empire style" and the building is one of seven structures designed by the supervising architect in this style, beginning in 1869. Only the Executive Office Building and the Custom House and Post Office in St. Louis have survived.
Alfred Bult Mullett (1834-1890)
Richard Von Ezdorf (1848-1926)
Superintendent of Construction
Colonel Thomas Lincoln Casey (1831-1896)
Corps of Engineers, U.S.A.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 38° 53.912′ N, 77° 2.311′ W. Marker is in Downtown, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of Pennsylvania Avenue and West Executive Avenue, on the Touch for map. Located on the north side courtyard fence for the Old Executive Office building. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20005, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. State, War, and Navy Building (here, next to this marker); These Five-Inch Brass Trophy Guns (a few steps from this marker); Dwight D. Eisenhower Executive Office Building (a few steps from this marker); The Lee House (within shouting distance of this marker); First Home of the Reserve Officers Association (within shouting distance of this marker); In Honor of Leslie Coffelt (within shouting distance of this marker); The Blair House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Entrance Gardens (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Downtown.
Also see . . .
1. Old Executive Office Building. National Park Service page. (Submitted on December 15, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. The Eisenhower Executive Office Building. Among other interesting facts, this building had the first hydraulic lift elevator in a U.S. Government building. (Submitted on December 15, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 20, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 15, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,784 times since then and 41 times this year. Last updated on January 12, 2014, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1. submitted on December 15, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 2. submitted on April 7, 2008, by Matt Gholson of Houston, Texas. 3. submitted on August 24, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 4. submitted on December 15, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 5. submitted on April 5, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 6, 7. submitted on August 27, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.