Corolla in Currituck County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Corolla Historic Village
Twiddy & Company began preservation in Corolla Village in 1986. The first effort was the Kill Devil Hills Lifesaving Station built in 1878. Relocation from the original oceanfront site was a requirement of the sale, so the station was moved to Corolla.
Further preservation occurred in 1998 as other properties became available. The Lewark/Gray home and the Parker home were first. These old homes now host merchants and nonprofits to include Lovie’s Kitchen Table and the Corolla Wild Horse Fund.
The century old schoolhouse was restored in 1999. In August 2012, the school bell rings again as local children attend a new public charter school.
Explore the marshes and sounds with Coastal Explorations and enjoy The Village Garden planted with heirloom perennials and shrubs. Thanks for exploring this old village and sharing the history
Location. 36° 22.698′ N, 75° 49.932′ W. Marker is in Corolla, North Carolina, in Currituck County. Marker is at the intersection of Corolla Village Road and Schoolhouse Lane, on the left when traveling south on Corolla Village Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1126 Schoolhouse Ln, Corolla NC 27927, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this Corolla Schoolhouse (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Corolla Schoolhouse (a few steps from this marker); Boats And Blinds (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Corolla Chapel (about 500 feet away); Kill Devil Hills (about 600 feet away); Welcome to a Wetland (approx. 0.2 miles away); Currituck Beach Light Station (approx. 0.2 miles away); Currituck Beach Lighthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corolla.
Also see . . . Twiddy Outer Banks History - Twiddy Historic Preservation. Twiddy & Company Realtors (Submitted on August 30, 2014.)
Categories. • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 29, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 240 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 29, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.