San Patricio in San Patricio County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Saint Patrick's Catholic Church
Local citizens built a two-and-one-half story building for a convent and school on the grounds of Saint Patrick's Church. After an 1875 hurricane destroyed facilities at Indianola, nuns from the order of Sisters of Mercy relocated in San Patricio and operated Saint Joseph's convent and school from 1876 until 1884.
After a 1919 hurricane completely demolished the church facilities, the congregation rebuilt in 1922. A need for a larger facility led the congregation to build a fourth structure in 1961. Through the years Saint Patrick's Catholic Church has served the community with Sunday Mass and the sacraments and missions given by visiting priests.
Erected 1992 by Texas Historical Commisison. (Marker Number 4476.)
Location. 27° 57.292′ N, 97° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mathis TX 78368, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Dougherty House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Education in San Patricio (about 400 feet away); Battle of San Patricio (approx. 0.2 miles away); Josepha Rodriguez (approx. 0.2 miles away); San Patricio de Hibernia (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Cemetery on the Hill (approx. 0.7 miles away); White Point / Rosita (approx. 11½ miles away); Early Odem Area Schools (approx. 11½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Patricio.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 27, 2014, by Michael Heinich of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 326 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 27, 2014, by Michael Heinich of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.