Gerolzhofen in Landkreis Schweinfurt, Bavaria, Germany — Southern Germany (Scarplands and Alpine Region)
Chapel of St. John
Geschichte für alle - historischer Verein in Gerolzhofen, e.V.
Dr. Ottmar Wolf – Kulturstiftung
Marker text translated into English:
Built in 1497 as a cemetery chapel, probably on the foundations of an older baptistry. The lower arched area was used until 1816 as an ossuary. In the upper worship area was the Riemenschneider-Altar. Today a museum.
History for All - the Gerolzhofen Historical Society
Dr. Ottmar Wolf Cultural Foundation
Erected by The Gerolzhofen Historical Society and the Dr. Ottmar Wolf Cultural Foundation.
Location. 49° 54.081′ N, 10° 20.934′ E. Marker is in Gerolzhofen, Bavaria, in Landkreis Schweinfurt. Marker is on Kirchgasse just south of Salzstrasse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gerolzhofen, Bavaria 97447, Germany. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking Baroque Crucifixion Sculpture (within shouting distance of this marker); Parish Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Catholic Rectory (within shouting distance of this marker); Altes Rathaus / The Old City Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); The Watchmen's Tower (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Ehemalige Vogtei / Former Bailiff's Building (about 120 meters away); Owl's Tower (about 120 meters away); Centtor / "Cent" Gate (about 120 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gerolzhofen.
Regarding Chapel of St. John. The "Riemenschneider-Altar" mentioned on the marker is a decorative altar triptych created by the noted 16th-Century Franconian artist, Til Riemenschneider. The triptych is now kept in the Bavarian State Museum in Munich.
Also see . . .
1. Museum Johanniskapelle "Kunst und Geist der Gotik". The City of Gerolzhofen's German-language page describing the Johanniskapelle Museum. (Submitted on November 2, 2014.)
2. Johanniskapelle, Gerolzhofen. Dag Schroder, architect, presents a page detailing the conversion of the chapel into a museum. Includes numerous post-conversion photos of the interior. (Submitted on November 2, 2014.)
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Churches & Religion •
More. Search the internet for Chapel of St. John.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 31, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 16, 2014, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 333 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 1, 2014, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 4. submitted on November 2, 2014, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 5, 6. submitted on November 1, 2014, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.